A photo or two for the tale of the lame gosling.

Late last summer I moved to a small condo. The property is on a small basin of water that is home to Canada Geese.  This years brood has hatched and the parents are dutifully tending to these young.  

DSC02870

Walking the dog down to beach I spied a lone gosling on the berm.  I took Loki back to our unit and grabbed the camera.  When I returned, the young gosling was still there. He sat there a bit and I slowly edged closer.  It was odd, as they usually shy quite quickly. I took a couple of photos, and edged closer still. 

The goslings parents were on the beach with the rest of the brood, and I stayed my distance.   I looked back to the lone gosling and he was doing his best to make it down the berm, the gosling had an injured foot.  He was slow but determined to meet up with his family.  It was an odd reunion,  the parents didn’t rush to meet this little lame gosling, they stayed back and assessed his condition. 

 

DSC02878

The little gosling is just shy of the waters edge at the far left of this photo. 

 

DSC02881

The geese filed into the water, and the little lame gosling, did the same at a distance.  The lameness on the land was not a hindrance in the water and he was able to catch up and find his place with his family

This was a happy ending.  This time.

DSC02884

The goslings numbered 8 on May 13th.  The basin is filled with life both above and below the water. 

DSC02765

My Sewing life: Inside the machine

 

I have been sewing for thirty years now, so for most a lifetime.  When I was younger all of my machines were used.  Professional service was a luxury, so I would take the machine apart and do my best.  And it worked.

DSC02253

A few years back my Husqvarna Emerald Sewing machine blew a fuse, it wasn’t under warranty, so to replace the 3$ fuse cost me $89& taxes. Not cheap.  So, when the fuse went a few months later I took the machine apart, replaced the fuses and repositioned the wires to make then next fuse replacement a snap.  The whole machine had to come apart to get access.  Well, in doing so, I flipped some wires in replacing the fuses.  The consequence was that they light on the machine would only work when the pedal was in use.  A nuisance but not broken.

So, I recently listed the machine on crags list and the one offer was incredibly low.  So, last night I took it apart to fix the issue.

DSC02254  DSC02273.JPGDSC02264     DSC02269

Now if I had looked at the bottom once the plate was off I should have notice that the fuses were yellow wire to white wire, but I didn’t.  I was thinking that I had put the wrong wires to the machines computer board.  So, I unscrewed all kinds of screw, coaxed the plastic bits apart and swapped the wires.   Then I put it back enough to test, and the machine said no, they were fine the way they were before.  I then went looking to see what was amiss and that was the moment that I realized I didn’t need to pull it all apart.

The picture below shows the correct fuse wiring.  While I was in the machine, I cleaned and lubricated all the gears and moving parts.  Now it should sell for closer to the asking price.

DSC02270

I just want to emphasize that this was only done on machines that were beyond the manufactures warranty.  Never touch a machine under warranty – it will void it.

DSC02279.JPG

Sewing with Hemp linen. A quick finish to the sleeve.

Hemp Linen (40% Hemp/60% Organic Cotton) is a joy to work with.  The more that it is worked, the softer it becomes.DSC02057

I have worked with this before with great success.  The lace is a cotton 1” that I picked up years ago.  When folded and sewn over the materials edge the finish is clean and wears really well.  DSC02060

One of the property’s of hemp woven material is that the hemp will have a tendency to bind to itself naturally during wear.  So it will not come apart under the lace. 

I will be using this technique on the neck for this hemp shirt. 

DSC02065