A playful muff for my gran

This is a playful two sided muff for my gran.  I knit it with some foundling wool at the thrift shop.  One side is a variegated green and the other a fusion of reds and purples. My Gran will be 95 in the spring and has the early signs of dementia.  Apparently these muffs  help keep those with dementia calmer by allowing for the hands to fidget in a warm place. 

DSC01538

I picked up the instructions on Ravelry.com. With chunky wool – a mix of colors and textures is best.  Cast on 88 stiches and make the whole muff about 20 inches long.  Knit to your hearts desire – the more stiches and variance in the texture the better.

Then comes the fun part.

DSC01519

The bobbles, bits and button that are large, shiny, smooth, bumpy and just fun.  Chains, zippers, laces, and other nice things that will survive an industrial wash or two are good too.  

DSC01529

So I delved into my stash for these bobbles.  Once I had chosen the bobbles, button and such, I threaded groups together in random colorings and textures. I found some nylon/cotton kitting ribbon that I uses as my Gran would love the color.  I used a doll makers needle – the really long one in the center of the photo above for most of this treading.

I pulled some cotton laces into a long squiggly thing .

DSC01518

Threaded together buttons to form a couple of chains for her old fingers to find in the warmth. 

Next I picked up a threaded set or a button and sewed it firmly in place by weaving though a few kintted stitches and then though to the back where a placement button was waiting for the tie off.

DSC01535

The shot below  is the  underside of the placement with the button and knots.  It is ok to leave the long bits, they will add to the texture and weight and that is good.

 

DSC01536

So, when I had attached all of the bits that I had set up, I then folded the two ends and attached them securely with a slip stich using the tail of the knit.

Apparently this playful muff will distract her from the frustration of loosing her memory. So, I hope at least.

DSC01537

Thanks for reading.  Pass it on, care homes in Canada have found that these really do help.  

Weekly Photo Challenge: Pure

what a concept.  Noticed these lawn ornaments chowing down on the morning glory – a pest devouring another pest.  Both can look good though.  DSC09465.JPG

Today it was a breading pair that graced our backyards looking for the good stuff. Usually it is just the doe and perhaps a fawn or two. Hardly see the bucks.

DSC09466.jpg

Notice how the horns are velvet, this new growth that will soon be scraped off.  4 points and he still looks good.  Urban life for the dear can be very harsh. I have seen several over the years with gashes and broken legs from jumping the fences.  If there is food – they will jump and pretty much anything (except thistles) will tempt their pallet.

DSC09467.JPG

I rarely see older does – parenting is hard under the best of conditions.  And this one is so young and small.  I suspect her life will not be as long as the bucks.  Though you never know she may beat the odds.

DSC09453.jpg

Mending my fav blue dress.

 

DSC07118

The upper back along the neck had begun to ware very badly.  I figured it was my long hair that sped up the process.  Hemp and oil do no go well together and  I normally let my hair dry naturally and of course I use a good conditioner which has oils. Between the friction of the hair (I have lots) and the conditioners over time wore the hemp to the fashionable grunge look.  That was ok until the neck line split.  .

DSC07125

So I hunted down some thing suitable and found it in a cotton scrap.  I trimmed the cotton to the neck line leaving the seam allowance which I then sniped to just under the seam allowance and basted it into a little neat shape.

DSC07133

This same fabric was used to make a bit of cording that I stitched to the facing side of the dress.  This was to secure the neck line.

DSC07155

Once that was done I stitched the little panel that I had neatened the edges on above to the top of the back neck line.  Once done – I topstitched it together at the top of the neck line.

 

DSC07156

So, I then reviewed the machine stiches and found a broad patter and stitched across the back down to the last ware point.

The finished results will hold it together till winters is past.  In the spring  I am planning to cut the bodice off to make a summer skirt and salvage what I can from the bodice and sleeves for projects and pockets.

DSC07117