weekly photo challenge: Dark A smoky sun.

One week ago this was our dinner time sun.  Smoke from the mainland was shrouding our bit of paradise.

DSC00156 (2)_edited-1


A playful muff for my gran

This is a playful two sided muff for my gran.  I knit it with some foundling wool at the thrift shop.  One side is a variegated green and the other a fusion of reds and purples. My Gran will be 95 in the spring and has the early signs of dementia.  Apparently these muffs  help keep those with dementia calmer by allowing for the hands to fidget in a warm place. 


I picked up the instructions on Ravelry.com. With chunky wool – a mix of colors and textures is best.  Cast on 88 stiches and make the whole muff about 20 inches long.  Knit to your hearts desire – the more stiches and variance in the texture the better.

Then comes the fun part.


The bobbles, bits and button that are large, shiny, smooth, bumpy and just fun.  Chains, zippers, laces, and other nice things that will survive an industrial wash or two are good too.  


So I delved into my stash for these bobbles.  Once I had chosen the bobbles, button and such, I threaded groups together in random colorings and textures. I found some nylon/cotton kitting ribbon that I uses as my Gran would love the color.  I used a doll makers needle – the really long one in the center of the photo above for most of this treading.

I pulled some cotton laces into a long squiggly thing .


Threaded together buttons to form a couple of chains for her old fingers to find in the warmth. 

Next I picked up a threaded set or a button and sewed it firmly in place by weaving though a few kintted stitches and then though to the back where a placement button was waiting for the tie off.


The shot below  is the  underside of the placement with the button and knots.  It is ok to leave the long bits, they will add to the texture and weight and that is good.



So, when I had attached all of the bits that I had set up, I then folded the two ends and attached them securely with a slip stich using the tail of the knit.

Apparently this playful muff will distract her from the frustration of loosing her memory. So, I hope at least.


Thanks for reading.  Pass it on, care homes in Canada have found that these really do help.  

Folkware #209–Walking Skirt

The walking skirt front

The walking skirt hemThis is a fun skirt to make.  I have several that I wear – one in hemp summer cloth for summer and two in wool for winter.

Here is the post when I reworked the hemp summer skirt – https://austerity101.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/the-fix-the-folkware-walking-skirt-in-hemp-summer-cloth-revisited/

My partner found for me some red denim that has a velveteen brush like finish on the right side. Total cost $4.00 for the skirt. The tread was given to me and the closure was a find at a thrift store in a bag of buttons and such.

Patterns 001Patterns 007

The material is not part of the recommended list as it is normally too heavy but this is just a bit lighter than the regular denim so I went ahead with the cut.

The pattern is an easy sew except for the placket – it can be tricky. Here is a close up of the back seem just below the placket opening.

Red walking skirt construstion and morning dew 028Red walking skirt construstion and morning dew 027Red walking skirt construstion and morning dew 029

The placket sewn to the extending flap, showing the opening , and a placement of where it will go on the back panels.

Red walking skirt construstion and morning dew 026Red walking skirt construstion and morning dew 024

A small clip is needed for the opening to function properly.  Red walking skirt construstion and morning dew 021Red walking skirt construstion and morning dew 030This is the trickiest part of the construction.  Attaching the bottom of the placket to the skirt while maintaining the top stitching on the placket itself.

Today 015The placket in place – I was not happy with the placket as it buckled at at the bottom opening so I ripped it out and cleaned it up.  Once finished only one button or in this case the hook will be necessary to secure my modesty!

In this shot above I have the back pleated but the end result was an overly large back side on an already large lady so I removed the pleats and inserted a gather as per the instructions.  To gather heavy material – use dental floss!  It holds forever and doesn’t break under the weight. Today 020I secure one end with a pin and pull so that I have an even texture along the line, baste to secure and ensure that there are no unsightly folds in the seam.

The basting after the gathering

the finished gather

The finished  gather.  (please note that this is the correct color of the fabric – I have too much still to do to correct each photograph.)

Red walking skirt construstion and morning dew 018Gentile has taken a liking to the ironing board and she is as stubborn as she is old so it can take a bit to get her to share the space!

For all of my waistbands I insert an elastic band the width of the finished band to keep the waistband from folding when I sit.  This allows for a long wearing waistband with the right amount of firmness at all times and no unsightly folds.The waistband

I ran over the basting with a 2.5 stitch to secure the waistband, clipped the edges ( perhaps a little too close) and the clip take two

slip stitched the waist band into place

Slip stiches

With the waistband secure, I moved on to the hem.  For a rare change, I actually ironed my allowance up.  Normally I just turn on the sewing machine and away I go.  As it is denim and with the a straight stich  on a denim hem has an annoying habit of turning up, and this can very hard to iron out..  To stop this I did an embroidery stich over the hem.  It adds color and dimension to this very red skirt and will keep the bottom smooth.

thanks  for taking the time to read about my adventure in sewing.